Kamala Mills fire: Owners of 1Above pub sent to police custody till January 17

Mumbai: Three owners of '1 Above' pub who were arrested by the Mumbai Police in connection with the devastating fire at the Kamala Mills Compound on December 29 were on Thursday remanded to police custody till January 17.

The three pub owners - Jigar Sanghvi, Kripesh Sanghvi and Abhijeet Mankar – were produced before the Bhoiwada Court today. 

The Sanghvis and their partner Abhijeet Mankar were absconding till they were arrested by the Mumbai Police on Wednesday.

They had gone underground after they were charged with culpable homicide in connection with the Kamala Mills Compound fire mishap that left 14 people dead and several injured. 

Earlier on Saturday, the Mumbai Police had arrested Yug K Pathak, the son of a retired DGP-rank IPS officer and the co-owner of The Mojo's Bistro, one of the two restro-bars where the massive blaze took place on December 29.

Prior to Pathak's arrest, two managers of '1 Above' pub Kevin Bawa and Lisbon Lopez were also arrested in connection with the fire tragedy.

An offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder under sections 304, 337, 338, 34 of the Indian Penal Code was registered against the three owners of '1 Above' at the NM Joshi Marg Police Station following the incident.

Earlier on December 31, the police arrested two relatives of the absconding Sanghavi duo - uncle Rakesh Sanghavi and cousin Aditya Sanghavi - for giving shelter to the co-owners of 1Above pub, Kripesh Sanghavi and Jigar Sanghavi, against whom a reward was announced.

The uncle-cousin (Rakesh Sanghavi and Aditya Sanghavi) were produced before the Bhoiwada Court and released on a bail of Rs 25,000.

Mumbai's fire department, in its report, said that a lit charcoal used in a hookah at Mojo's Bistro Restaurant caused the blaze, which then spread to '1 Above' pub.

The department further claimed that Mojo's Bistro pub could not produce the required documents required to run a pub.

Juhu-based hotelier Vishal Kariya was arrested for sheltering three owners of 1 Above pub.