Mark Wood is to have a scan on his troublesome left ankle after a return of soreness in the joint ruled him out of England's first one-day international against New Zealand.
England captain Eoin Morgan said after Sunday's three-wicket defeat against the Kiwis in Hamilton that he remains optimistic the latest problem with the fast bowler's ankle will not prove serious.
It emerged on Monday, however, that Wood will have a precautionary scan to pinpoint the extent of the injury - with a further update anticipated in the next 24 hours.
The seamer, a surprise absentee at Seddon Park, has previously undergone three operations on his ankle - and was prevented from playing any part in England's Ashes this winter as he struggled to regain full fitness.
he 28-year-old returned, however, for the white-ball legs of England's tour and is also in the squad for next month's two-Test series against New Zealand.Assessing Wood's likely availability for the remainder of a campaign which resumes with the second ODI at Mount Maunganui on Wednesday, Morgan said on Sunday evening: "It's not a serious concern at the moment.
"He's picked up a soreness the last couple of days and he wasn't worth the risk today.
"We'll see how he's assessed over the next 24 hours to see whether he will participate in the next game or we build a plan as to when he can come back."